Monday, January 4, 2010

A letter from Daddy


Natalie,

Happy Birthday, my angel! I can't believe a year has passed since the day you were born. I will never forget that day. You truly changed my life the very moment you cried for the first time. I was your daddy, and in my new role, it was my singular desire to protect you from this harsh new world. A year later, and I still want to protect you from the dangers that exist- the pain and sorrow life eventually brings to all of us. I know that I can't always be there to hold your hand, nor should I be. Letting you go will not be easy, if even simply letting go of your hand as you try to walk is any indication.

There are so many things I want to say to you. I want to tell you how beautiful you are, and that you will always be beautiful no matter what. Do your best to ignore ignorance. Don't ever let anyone's words or actions take your self-value away.

I want to tell you everything will be okay in the end. There will be trying times in your life, but you will persevere. Be strong, keep that sense of humor that you're already showing us, and lean on us when you need to. Know that even when your mommy and I can't keep watch over you, God is there. Talk to Him. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Most importantly, don't ever lose faith.

I want to tell you thank you. Thank you for a year of joy. A year of not being able to stay grumpy when I see your photo, or hear your laugh, or even just when I think of you! Thank you for bring your Mommy and I even closer together than we were before your blessed arrival.

More than anything, Natalie, I want to tell you that I love you. I haven't written to you enough, but I hope I have been showing you my love firsthand everyday. You make my heart grow with every beat, and it can still only barely expand fast enough to contain the amount of love I hold there for you and Mommy.

Happy Birthday, my girl. It's been an amazingly wonderful first chapter of your life. Let's make the next one just as good!

Love always,
Daddy

1 comment:

  1. HOW PRECIOUS ... I have to get some kleenex!

    That is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL, Joel!

    Natalie is one VERY BLESSED Little Gal!

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete

Let Natalie (and Mommy and Daddy) know what you think!!